Litigation & Risk Management
Chambliss, Bahner & Stophel has represented its clients in complex tort, business, and commercial litigation for over 120 years. Our team of trial lawyers prosecutes and defends a wide variety of cases in state and federal courts throughout the United States.
Increasingly, this Practice Group considers legal risk prevention to be one of its primary missions. Preventive law seeks to minimize liability losses and to reduce litigation and legal conflict, whether liability follows or not. This expanding aspect of our practice is based on the realization that the best way to prevent legal losses is to prevent injuries or other damages from arising in the first place.
To that end, our trial lawyers are often called upon to provide advice and counsel to clients in their business planning, development, product development and marketing strategies. Many of our clients recognize that active planning of this nature also prevents claims and suits. We help identify areas of potential legal exposure so they can be minimized in transactions, contracts or in the design, manufacturing or distribution process before accidents, disputes, or other claims result in lawsuits.
When suits are filed, our trial lawyers regularly serve as lead counsel in cases tried in state and federal trial and appellate courts throughout the continental United States. Trial team members have also represented clients in Canada, Europe, the Middle East, Japan and Australia. Our broad litigation practice also includes frequent representation of clients in arbitrations, mediations and administrative hearings before federal, state and local agencies.
Chambliss, Bahner & Stophel, P.C. has the resources to handle a wide range of large cases facing immediate deadlines. For example, our recent litigation case load has included:
- Bankruptcy Adversary Actions
- Defense of Class Actions in Commercial and Personal Injury Claims
- Defense of Manufacturers and Sellers in Product Liability Actions
- Commercial Disputes between Companies and their Suppliers, Distributors or Customers
- Corporate, Antitrust, and Trade Regulation Disputes
- Criminal Defense and White Collar Crime Litigation
- Construction Litigation
- Environmental and Toxic Torts
- Insurance Coverage Disputes
- Insurance Defense and Workers' Compensation
- Labor and Employment Litigation
- Long Term Care Defense
- Personal Injury Claims in a Wide Variety of Settings
- Professional Malpractice Defense
- Property Claims
- Patent, Copyright, and Trademark Litigation
- Tax and Estate Matters
- Trade Secrets Litigation.
Several of the firm's trial lawyers have been listed among the Best Lawyers in America or as Mid-South Superlawyers and are frequent speakers at professional and client seminars. Many are active participants in several litigation-specific professional organizations, such as:
- The American Bar Association's Section of Litigation
- The American Bar Association's Tort and Insurance Practice Section
- The American Bar Association's Intellectual Property Section
- American Corporate Counsel Association
- American Health Lawyers Association
- The Defense Research Institute ("DRI")
- DRI's Manufacturer's Risk Prevention Specialized Litigation Group
- DRI's Agricultural, Construction, Mining and Industrial Equipment Specialized Litigation Group
- The Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel
- International Association of Defense Counsel
- Meritas Litigation Section
- Mid-South Commercial Law Institute
- Product Liability Advisory Council ("PLAC")
- State Bar of Georgia
- Tennessee Bar Association
- Tennessee Health Care Association.